To grasp the burden and management status of COPD in Japan, a large telephone survey was conducted. In initial screening 400 individuals > or =45 years were identified as either having been given a diagnosis of COPD or fulfilling criteria for their respiratory-related symptoms and smoking history (baseline population) and they were recruited for a detailed investigation (interview sample). They were asked about demographic information, exacerbation, impact of COPD on daily life, and management and treatment. Of the 400 interview samples, 209 subjects (52%) had a diagnosis of COPD, and the remaining 191 ones (48%) were not, retrospectively. It was confirmed that proportions of a current smoker in the COPD (35.4%) and non-COPD (35.6%) groups were almost at the same level. The use of inhaled bronchodilators, recommended by guidelines in 157 treated subjects, was 16% or less, whereas respiratory conditions affected daily activities in 70% of all the subjects. In conclusion, COPD in Japanese subjects significantly affects daily life yet is undiagnosed; there is a need to improve COPD diagnosis and management by general practitioners through disseminating guidelines for diagnosis, management, and prevention of COPD in Japan.
|ジャーナル||Nihon Kokyūki Gakkai zasshi = the journal of the Japanese Respiratory Society|
|出版ステータス||Published - 2007 12|
ASJC Scopus subject areas