Accidental skin burns by fire of an antiseptic agent ignition by the spark of electric cautery

Hiroshi Hoshijima, Risa Takeuchi, Eiru Sato, Hirosato Kikuchi

研究成果: Article査読

5 被引用数 (Scopus)

抄録

Surgical fire is a rare complication during the operative period. But, it is a severe complication when it occurs. There are antiseptic agents with strong inflammability used for skin preparation. We report accidental skin burns caused by the spark of electric cautery. The patient was a 29-year-old (50 kg, 158 cm, physical status ASA1) woman who underwent laparotomy for acute abdomen. Anesthesia was induced and tracheal intubation was performed without trouble. Anesthesia was maintained with oxygen, air, remifentanil and sevoflurane. The skin of the surgical site was sterilized with an alcoholic antiseptic containing Chlorhexidine before the operation. Several minutes after the start of operation, a fire occurred on using the electric cautery. Immediately, fire was extinguished by hands. The cover cloth is peeled off and it was confirmed that the burn extended from the right thoracic region to the buttocks. After cooling, it became a burn of II to III degrees. Operation was restarted, and at the end, the patient was allowed to breathe spontaneously for 5 minutes and extubated afterwards. The disinfectant with alcoholic content has a strong inflammability. It is necessary to dry it enough before using cautery.

本文言語English
ページ(範囲)1438-1440
ページ数3
ジャーナルJapanese Journal of Anesthesiology
59
11
出版ステータスPublished - 2010 11 10
外部発表はい

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • 麻酔学および疼痛医療

フィンガープリント

「Accidental skin burns by fire of an antiseptic agent ignition by the spark of electric cautery」の研究トピックを掘り下げます。これらがまとまってユニークなフィンガープリントを構成します。

引用スタイル