The present status and problems in the treatment of biliary atresia with special reference to surgical and long-term results

R. Ohi, M. Nio, T. Chiba, Y. Hayashi, N. Endo, M. Goto, M. Ibrahim

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The surgical results are not satisfactory yet in Japan and only 46% of the patients are free of jaundice 3 years ago. However, we found many presentations which reported jaundice disappearance rate with more than 80% in the last several years. The main cause of death in jaundiced patients with the failed hepatic portoenterostomy was hepatic failure. Other causes of deaths in these patients, including those died within one month after operation, were peritonitis, cardiac and/or renal failure, hemorrhagic tendency and lung edema. The main cause of death in jaundice-free patients was rupture of the esophageal varices. We examined 48 long-term survivors ranging in age from 10 to 33 years. There were 41 cases without and 7 with jaundice. Thirty-seven (77%) of 48 cases were leading their normal lives. Among them, 6 cases were enjoying their lives after overcoming the sequelae, such as portal hypertension. The morbidities of the remaining 11 (23%) long-term survivors were jaundice in 7, portal hypertension in 5, encephalopathy after splenorenal shunt in 1 and so on. The cured states of most cases without jaundice are satisfactory and eventually these former patients can achieve a favorable quality of life.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1339-1342
Number of pages4
JournalNippon Geka Gakkai zasshi
Volume90
Issue number9
Publication statusPublished - 1989 Sep

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The present status and problems in the treatment of biliary atresia with special reference to surgical and long-term results'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this