Thailand was among the countries that suffered losses and damage as a result of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami disaster. Ten years have passed since the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami. The various lessons learned and research on the 2011 disaster in Japan have reached Thailand. This can be seen in the numerous interactive activities associated to the World Tsunami Awareness Day, as well as several tsunami-related research and development programs applied to the country. This article summarizes those activities and highlights key examples. It also acts as a conduit for related communication between the two countries, Japan and Thailand.
- 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami
- 2011 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami
- World Tsunami Awareness Day
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Safety, Risk, Reliability and Quality
- Engineering (miscellaneous)