Dynamic recording fields of single-pole-type (SPT) heads, having main pole tip dimensions of 25 × 25 nm at the air bearing surface (ABS), were investigated using a Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert (LLG) micromagnetic analysis. The recording performance in combination with continuous media and bit-patterned media (BPM) was discussed for areal densities of 1-2 Tbit/in2 using the results of LLG micromagnetic media recording simulations. Trailing and side shields were indispensable and the switching speed of the SPT head did not deteriorate on reducing the area of the main pole tip. The advantage of BPM over continuous media was clear with regard to obtaining a higher areal density.
- Bit-patterned media (BPM)
- Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert (LLG) micromagnetic analysis
- Perpendicular magnetic recording
- Single-pole-type (SPT) heads
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering