Ferroelectric single crystal thin plates with large area and high homogeneity are required for ultrahigh-density storage media. A polarization controlled wet etching process was developed in this paper. The thickness of the crystal was controlled during the wet etching process by applying DC voltage to a substrate. A 455-nm-thick LiTaO3 thin plate with a diameter of 3 mm was prepared using this method. Subsequently, nanodomains were artificially formed by applying voltage pulses to the substrate using a metal-coated cantilever top electrode. Additionally, evaluation of bit error rate was conducted using a 119-nm-thick LiTaO3 recording medium.
- Ferroelectric data storage
- Scanning nonlinear dielectric microscopy
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Physics and Astronomy (miscellaneous)
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials