Evidence for ordered moments on the Rh sites in CeRhIn5

A. Schenck, D. Andreica, F. N. Gygax, D. Aoki, Y. Onuki

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

13 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The magnetic structure of the tetragonal heavy fermion compound CeRhIn5 (TN = 3.8 K) has been studied by zero-field muon spin rotation (μSR) in the range 1.8-4.3 K in a single crystal. In addition, the anisotropic muon (μ+) Knight shift has been measured in the paramagnetic regime with the aim to determine the μ+ site or sites. It is found that about 70% of the implanted μ+ are located at the a site (1/2,1/2,1/2). The site of the other 30% is not unambigeously determined but may be the f sites (0,1/2,0) and (1/2,0,0). The data also imply that a small negative moment is induced on the Rh sites. Below TN we find five components in the μSR signal reflecting spontaneous, relatively sharp internal fields of zero, 13, 37, 69, and 98 G at T = 0 K, which are confined to the surface of cones oriented along the c axis with apertures ranging from 14° to 90°. These results are not reproducible by the known incommensurate helical magnetic structure of the Ce sublattice but can be explained if, in addition, a small moment order of unusual type on the Rh sublattice is assumed.

Original languageEnglish
Article number144404
Pages (from-to)1444041-14440410
Number of pages12996370
JournalPhysical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics
Volume66
Issue number14
Publication statusPublished - 2002 Oct 1
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
  • Condensed Matter Physics

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Evidence for ordered moments on the Rh sites in CeRhIn<sub>5</sub>'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this