Decagonal quasicrystals of an Al70Ni15Fe15 alloy were investigated by transmission electron microscopy. Dark- field image studies revealed that there exist inversion domains and the domain boundaries accompany the antiphase shift of c/2. High-resolution image studies revealed that specific pentagonal atom clusters exist and that all the clusters in a domain have the same sense of polarity and those in the neighboring domains have the opposite sense. A preliminary structural model for explaining the high-resolution image was generated by the section method.
- Aluminum-nickel-iron alloy
- Convergent-beam electron diffraction
- Decagonal phase
- High-resolution electron microscope image
- Transmission electron microscopy
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Physics and Astronomy(all)