After the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, local governments in six prefectures produced their own post-tsunami urban recovery plans. The authors collected 50 recovery plans from the Internet from May 2012 to March 2014 to study their contents and planning processes. This paper focuses on post-tsunami recovery-planning situations, clarifying the following: (1) Features of damaged areas are clarified regarding population and area size.
(2) Individual local government planning processes for making recovery plans, including the number of committee members and time period, are demonstrated.
(3) Recovery plan contents such as concreteness and strategies for relocating to higher lands are analyzed.
- 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake
- Local government
- Postdisaster recovery plan
- Recovery process
- Sanriku coast
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Safety, Risk, Reliability and Quality
- Engineering (miscellaneous)