Transmission impairments due to nonlinear intrachannel crosstalk in strongly dispersion-managed systems are investigated. Analytical expressions to estimate timing and amplitude jitter due to intrachannel pulse interactions are provided. Timing jitter is found to be a dominant limiting factor for small values of map strength, whereas amplitude jitter is responsible for system performance degradation especially for large map strength. The analysis agrees with direct numerical simulations of the full system.
- Dispersion management
- Optical fiber communication
- Optical fiber nonlinearity
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering