We report a self-starting optoelectronic oscillator operating at 1.1 μm that uses a gain-switched vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL) and a single-mode photonic crystal fiber. The modulation bandwidth and sidemode suppression ratio of the VCSEL were 7.2 GHz and more than 50 dB, respectively. A 10-GHz 11.5-ps optical pulse train with a timing jitter of 0.9 ps was successfully generated.
- Index terms-ingaas vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (vcsel)
- Optoelectronic oscillator (oeo)
- Photonic crystal fiber (pcf)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering