We newly propose a λ/4-shifted distributed-feedback laser diode (DFB-LD) that employs a fiber ring cavity configuration and which incorporates an ultranarrow band fiber Bragg grating (FBG) in the cavity. By controlling the FBG wavelength to match the oscillation wavelength of the DFB-LD, we achieved stable single-mode oscillation where the sidemodes of the DFB-LD and the Fabry-Perot modes induced by the ring configuration were sufficiently suppressed. Large performance improvements with an optical signal-to-noise ratio of 85 dB and a linewidth of 7 kHz were obtained.
- Fiber Bragg grating (FBG)
- Fiber ring laser
- λ/4-shifted distributed-feedback laser diode (DFB-LD)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering