By combining a photonic crystal fiber (PCF) and Si- and GaAs-based optical devices, we can construct high-speed communication systems in the 800-nm region such as 10- to 40-Gb/s Ethernet. In this letter, we report the first wavelength- division-multiplexing (WDM) transmission experiment in the 800-nm region accomplished using a single-mode PCF. We successfully demonstrated a penalty-free 4 × 10 Gb/s WDM transmission over 5 km at 850 nm by combining a single-mode PCF, AlGaAs VCSELs, and an arrayed waveguide grating.
- Arrayed waveguide grating
- Photonic crystal fiber (PCF)
- Vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering