We demonstrate 10Gbit/s transmission over a 5 km photonic crystal fiber (PCF) in the 1.1μm band using a directly-modulated single-mode vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL). A combination of PCF and VCSEL enables us to achieve high-speed transmission at a low cost and with a simple configuration that does not employ optical modulators or amplifiers. Furthermore, the transmission distance was extended to 14 km by using an ytterbium-doped fiber amplifier (YDFA), and a power penalty-free transmission was successfully achieved.
- Photonic crystal fiber (PCF)
- Vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL)
- Ytterbium-doped fiber amplifier (YDFA)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering