We have successfully generated a 10-GHz 8.7-ps pulse train at 850 nm by using a gain switching technique with a high-speed AlGaAs-based vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL). The VCSEL, which operates in a single transverse mode by employing an aluminum oxide aperture, has a modulation bandwidth of 6.3 GHz and a relaxation oscillation frequency at around 11.7 GHz. An error-free 10-Gb/s return-to-zero data modulation was demonstrated by using the generated 10-GHz pulse train.
- AlGaAs vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL)
- data transmission
- gain switching return-to-zero (RZ)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering