An InP n-p-i-n Mach-Zehnder modulator and a semiconductor optical amplifier were monolithically integrated to compensate for the modulator's insertion loss. The device gain exceeded 10 dB, and fiber-to-fiber lossless operation was demonstrated for the full C-band region. The error-free transmission of a 10-Gb/s nonreturn-to-zero signal over a 100-km single-mode fiber was also demonstrated across the full C-band region. A power penalty of less than 1.5 dB was confirmed.
- Integrated optoelectronics
- Mach-Zehnder interferometer
- Semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOAs)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering